What is Worm Composting and why is it Needed?
In the current society every organization, small or big is striving to contribute to environmental conservation in one way or another. Individual households have not been left behind as well. We are all concerned with the apparent impact of modernization on the environment. Worm composting is simply one of the most convenient ways of disposing organic waste. As a matter of fact, it has been dubbed “the organic garbage disposal”. It is also referred to as vermicomposting and many commercial entities that specialize in supplying worm composting equipment and worms such as the red worms have emerged. Composting with worms will help reduce the amount of garage that ends up in the landfill. It also has many other benefits.
Statistics Do Not Lie
Reliable stats have shown that 20% of a typical landfill is made up of kitchen waste. These include waste foods and other kitchen scraps. A wormery or worm composting bin will help reduce this figure. It is not only an effective way of reducing waste but it is also easy and fun for anyone irrespective of age to use it.
Benefits of Worm Composting
- Requires minimal space-a simple worm farm does not require a huge space to establish. Neither is it limited by seasonal changes. It can be undertaken all year round and can be done both indoors and outdoors. It also requires little knowledge and does not take much effort.
- Excellent for any garden-organic waste is beneficial to any gardener. It helps enrich the soil and ultimately guarantee a green and healthy bloom. Compost is used widely by those who want to go green. It is friendly to the environment.
- Good for Kids-If you have kids then there is nothing as exciting as having red worms They are fascinating to hold and will help impart kids with environmental stewardship lessons. In fact, most schools include worm composting to their science/environmental studies.
- Cost-saver- once you establish your compost bin and get the red wiggler worms for sale, you will enjoy huge cost savings. First off, there are no more expenses on outsourcing waste disposal which includes the money spent on purchasing garbage bags. Secondly, the gardener will use compost to avoid the cost incurred when buying commercial fertilizers.
- Good for container growing-households will benefit immensely when they use composting with worms. It provides a nutrient-rich material that helps the container plants thrive.
- Soil fertility-a worm farm provides the cheapest way of enriching and maintaining soil fertility. Any subsistence or commercial farmer will benefit when he she uses worm compost materia
Red Worms for Organic Fertilizer
Red worms are ideal for composting for many reasons including:
- They burrow and create tunnels near the surface (toward plant root systems), which allows water, nutrients, and oxygen to flow easily to the roots
- 1 pound of red worms can consume organic material at an incredible rate of up to 1 pound per day. That’s right, they can eat organic material equal to their body weight every day!
- Red worm castings (worm poop) are an excellent source of nutrient for your lawn and garden
- 5 times more nitrogen
- 7 times more potash
- 1.5 times more calcium
Than your typical top soil found at a home improvement store!
Red worm castings are an incredible way to provide nutrients to your lawn and garden. We have top quality red wigglers for sale to help get you started.
Red Worms for Composting
Red worm composting is a great way for you to take advantage of all the red worm castings. You can easily set up you at-home worm composting station at home to harvest all the worm castings for use in your lawn or garden.
A worm composter allows you to build and maintain a nest of worms, and control how much worm castings are put back into your garden.
Another awesome reason to start at-home red worm composting is that you can eliminate a large portion of your household trash! All of your vegetarian scraps can go right into your worm farm to feed the worms. Any fruits, vegetables, and garden scraps can be put directly into the worm farm. The best part is that in no time you will have excellent, free, organic fertilizer to fertilize your lawn and garden much better than any synthetic fertilizer would do. Check out our red worms for sale to start your worm farm today!
What Can I Feed My Worms?
YES: Vegetables , fruits, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, shredded newspaper, shredded paper towel, egg shells, coffee grounds, tea bags
NO: Human or pet waste, dairy, meat, oils, grease, harsh chemicals, non-biodegradable materials
An important topic to take note of is that the worms will feed better of off the materials once it begins decomposing. Worms don’t really eat the fully intact food scraps, but rather the microbial goo that forms when the food scraps begin to decompose. So, if you put fully intact food scraps into your worm farm, they won’t begin eating the food scraps for at least a couple days.
Getting Started with Red Worm Farming
Getting started with red worm farming is easy! There are only 4 basic items needed to start worm farming.
Red worms are obviously the most important part of your worm farm. We have red worms and red wigglers for sale to help get you started. Will only supply the highest quality worms to make sure your worm farm gets off on the right note.
A composting bin is a small, fully contained bin where your worms live. This is also where you collect the worm castings which can then be used directly in your garden.
As discussed above, worm food is simply your household table scraps and garden/lawn scraps. You can feed your worms fruits, vegetables, egg shells, coffee grounds, and many other common household items that would just normally be thrown away
Red worms don’t only need food, but also a good habitat to live in. The best worm bedding is simply shredded cardboard and shredded newspaper. It is important to keep enough moisture in their habitat in order to keep them alive and happy. The ideal moisture for your worm firm is that compare to a damp sponge, or wrung out towel.
We can provide you with high quality red worms and red wigglers for sale!
A Final Word
Vermicomposting or worm composting is gaining popularity globally. It is seen as one of the best ways to help the environment and minimize waste that ends up in the landfill. Most cities in the US have come up with food waste recycling programs. Most of them supply the compost bins and you supply the garbage. Furthermore, others have a hot-line which can be contacted when you need any information regarding worms for composting. The main advantage associated with vermicomposting is that anyone can do it and it requires very little space.
Red worms, also known as red wigglers are the true work horse behind any thriving lawn or garden. Many people believe that adding special chemicals mixed in with ‘lawn food’ from the local home improvement store will magically make their lawns and gardens full of life again. The truth is that some as simple as red worms can make your lawn and garden look the best in the neighborhood.
We have all the supplies you will need, including red worms for sale and red wigglers for sale, to fulfill all of your home composting needs.